Derek W. Kaczmarek is a partner at Frazer, Ryan, Goldberg & Arnold, specializing in tax controversy. Tax controversy includes tax litigation, tax audits, and tax collection. As a tax controversy attorney, he represents individuals, businesses, trusts and estates against the I.R.S. and state/local taxing authorities.
Mr. Kaczmarek began his tax controversy career as a trial attorney with the I.R.S. in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2005. He ended his government service in 2012 as a senior trial attorney with the I.R.S. in Phoenix, Arizona. During that time, he represented the I.R.S. in hundreds of cases before the United States Tax Court. He served as lead counsel in more than forty U.S. Tax Court trials. He also advised I.R.S. revenue agents and revenue officers in issues ranging from development of criminal cases, seizure of property (including personal residences), conducting a tax fraud audit, innocent spouse cases and international tax issues. The State Bar of Arizona recognizes Mr. Kaczmarek as a certified specialist in tax law.
Mr. Kaczmarek uses the experiences he gained at the I.R.S. to aggressively represent his clients with tax issues.
- New York University School of Law – LL.M. (Taxation), 2005
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington – J.D. (Cum Laude), 2003.
- State Bar of Arizona, Tax Section, elected Chief Budget Officer, 2015 – 2016
- State Bar of Arizona, Tax Section, elected Secretary, 2014 – 2015
- State Bar of Arizona, Tax Section, elected Member-at-Large, 2012 – 2014
- Western States Bar Association, Arizona Representative, 2013 – present
- Scottsdale Bar Association, elected member Board of Directors, 2013 – 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Peer Rating
- State Bar of Arizona, Certified Specialist – Tax Law
- I.R.S. Office of Chief Counsel, Cube Award (litigation of national significance)
- I.R.S. Office of Chief Counsel, SB/SE, Litigation Award